Thursday, February 18, 2010

Modern Technology


Yellville, AR. 38 degrees and sunny

As I write this I am relegated to using Cactus Jack's laptop. Mine is fried!

Four days ago I signed on as usual and there was an update for Flash player and several Windows updates so I put them in one at a time. At that point my time was short because I had appointments so I shut my laptop down and went about my business. That evening I turned it on and it was doing all sorts of weird things. After about 10 minutes it said it could not start up. I repeated this procedure about 10 times, each time getting madder and madder. The next day I did the same thing. It made me think of "doing the same thing over and over expecting different results"!

After 2 days I decided to take the common sense suggestion from C.J. to take it to the computer man in town. He had it for 1 day and since we had to go get hay yesterday we stopped in to check if he had looked at it. The bad news was my hard drive is fried. I wanted to cry.

The computer guy said I could just buy a new one (since this *is* 4 years old) or for 150.00 he would put in a new hard drive and I would have a new *old* computer. So........logic says ditch it and buy a new one except for 1 minor detail. On my computer is just about every picture I have taken in the past 4 years plus the ones I have scanned in. Besides that, I have a lot of documents and forms that we use for trucking that I periodically have to print out. The key here is that C.J. has been telling me to back up all this stuff for years now and I have just blown it off. NOW I have to listen to the "I told you so". Oh well, I would do no less to him.

The computer guy said there was a very slim to none chance he might be able to recover my files, he said sometimes it happens. So......I decided for 150.00 I'll try it in hopes that this incident falls under the heading of "God protects babies and STUPID PEOPLE". The best that can happen is I have a new hard drive AND my files, the worst is that I have a new hard drive and a new empty palette to start anew. If the latter is the case, I will give the new, old laptop to our grandson and order new a brand spanking new one...bigger, faster, better!

Lesson learned......Back up your shit so your ready when *Shit Happens!*

Happy Trails

No comments:

Post a Comment